How Gullible Are We
This incident happened to me once when i visited a Science Fair and was going to sign a petition to save the environment...
This incident happened to me once when i visited a Science Fair and was going to sign a petition to save the environment. A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair.
He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since:
1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. it is a major component in acid rain
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. accidental inhalation can kill you
5. it contributes to erosion
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked fifty people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water. The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" conclusion is obvious.
, , , , ,