Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted by on Jun 8, 2015 in Tell Me Why |

Which Ink Is Used in Erasable Ball-point Pens?

Which Ink Is Used in Erasable Ball-point Pens?

Erasable ink is a special ink used in a new kind of ball-point pen called the Erasermate. This pen erases, like a pencil, making it easy to correct mistakes.

The word Erasermate in and of itself has become known as the erasable pen of the Papermate product line. Erasable ink is a gooey substance that looks like tar. Scientists from The Paper Mate Company invented it by combining ink with rubber.

To get this thick stuff out of the pen, a special refill was built. Erasable ink dries slowly and can be rubbed off before it hardens. After about 24 hours, the ink dries, and the writing becomes permanent.

Erasermate comes in blue, black and red ink, with the pen’s exterior often matching the color of its ink. The erasable ink took over a decade to develop and needs to be pressurized slightly for continuous flow during use.

A positive consequence of this pressure is that writing is possible through a wider range of paper to pen angle than with non-erasable ballpoint pens.

Content for this question contributed by Tina Olson, resident of Marinette, Wisconsin , USA