Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted by on Mar 2, 2016 in TellMeWhy |

Why Does Poison Ivy Itch?

Why Does Poison Ivy Itch?

Why Does Poison Ivy Itch? Woods, seashores, even parks and suburbs contain poison ivy. Never touch poison ivy. It can make your skin itch and blister. The poison that is in poison ivy is extremely irritating oil. It is found in all parts of the plant, not just the leaves.

Poison ivy grows as a bush, and as a vine that climbs over fences and up trunks of trees. In summer, the leaves are shiny green. They turn scarlet in the fall. Each leaf is made up of three leaflets.

Poison ivy rash is caused by an allergic reaction to an oily resin called urushiol. This oil is in the leaves, stems and roots of poison ivy, poison oak which is closely related to poison ivy and poison sumac.

If you should ever touch poison ivy, quickly scrub the oil off with strong laundry soap. Washing off the oil may reduce your chances of getting a poison ivy rash.

If you develop a rash, it can be very itchy and last for weeks. You can treat mild cases of poison ivy rash at home with soothing lotions and cool baths. You may need prescription medication for a rash that’s severe.

Content for this question contributed by Kathy Wendell, resident of Austin, Travis County, Texas, USA